What to do and when
Moving to a new home or buying your very first home can be a stressful time. Minimise your stress using our essential checklist:
Six weeks before moving
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you're renting, notify your landlord of your moving date
- Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the day you exchange contracts on your new home
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms ahead of exchanging contracts . Ask for references and check the limit of their insurance.
- If you're not using professional removers, check for availability of van hire
- Book extra storage space if required
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure and on moving day take meter readings
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Two weeks before moving
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop where relevant that you'll be moving and give them a date you want the service to stop or your new address
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address cards
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address
- Notify the bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders
Don't just take our word for it - our latest reviews
It was a pleasure doing business with Perry Bishop in Cheltenham. The team are both professional and friendly. I felt I was in very safe hands and was thrilled with photographs and write up of property details. Sales progression team had good communication skills also. Many thanks.
I used Perry Bishop Cirencester branch for my house sale and the service I have received was absolutely amazing. Friendly team, professional service and I have received great communication from start to finish.
Perry Bishop were the agents for the house I was purchasing. The sale of my house was not straightforward with a few heart stopping moments along the way.
Our experience using Perry Bishop was fantastic from start to finish. Paul Dearing who helped us sell our house was professional, friendly and always on hand to answer any queries we had. We would definitely recommend Perry Bishop and would use them again!
From our first conversation with Caroline she was very helpful, and worked hard to facilitate our purchase by the June deadline. She was always quick to respond to concerns and questions and nothing was too much trouble.
Perry Bishop and Chambers did a fantastic job of selling my house. I would heartily recommend them to anyone looking to buy or sell a house.