What to do and when
Moving to a new home or buying your very first home can be a stressful time. Minimise your stress using our essential checklist:
Six weeks before moving
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you're renting, notify your landlord of your moving date
- Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the day you exchange contracts on your new home
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms ahead of exchanging contracts . Ask for references and check the limit of their insurance.
- If you're not using professional removers, check for availability of van hire
- Book extra storage space if required
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure and on moving day take meter readings
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Two weeks before moving
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop where relevant that you'll be moving and give them a date you want the service to stop or your new address
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address cards
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address
- Notify the bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders
Don't just take our word for it - our latest reviews
Excellent service received in selling my property. Very professional from the point of valuation, marketing and final sale. I was kept well informed during viewings and the sales progression process. All the staff were pleasant to deal with.
Perry Bishop in Tetbury deserve some praise for the service and value the whole team provide. I'm a property developer and have recently started some new projects in the area and one of them has been acquired through Perry Bishop.
Excellent service from Perry Bishop. We were very impressed by the marketing of our property and pleasantly surprised by the interest it attracted. Very pleased with Daniel lining up so many viewings and the quick sale at a good price.
I would definitely recommend Perry Bishop estate agents in Faringdon. All the staff are very friendly, polite and extremely helpful. They give you regular updates on everything that is going on. Gerry was brilliant in liaising between me and the seller during the offer stage.
Perry Bishop Nailsworth, with a special mention to Shirley, who was vey helpful and informative from the first viewing through to completion, and even afterwards to ensure we had settled in and happy with all issues resolved. We would not hesitate to recommend them in the future.