What to do and when
Moving to a new home or buying your very first home can be a stressful time. Minimise your stress using our essential checklist:
Six weeks before moving
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you're renting, notify your landlord of your moving date
- Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the day you exchange contracts on your new home
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms ahead of exchanging contracts . Ask for references and check the limit of their insurance.
- If you're not using professional removers, check for availability of van hire
- Book extra storage space if required
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure and on moving day take meter readings
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Two weeks before moving
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop where relevant that you'll be moving and give them a date you want the service to stop or your new address
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address cards
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address
- Notify the bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders
Don't just take our word for it - our latest reviews
The service provided by Perry Bishop (Cheltenham branch) was exceptional from start to finish.
Thank you to Mark, Stephanie, Lynne and all the team @ Cirencester Branch for a very smooth and hassle free purchase our our lovely new home
A friendly professional service and very good at keeping you informed of the stages of a purchase. Also very good at responding to questions on the purchase and viewing arrangements.
Paul Dearing was a pleasure to work with. Our property sold to the first person who saw it. Paul is dedicated, sometimes working late into the evenings keeping us appraised of events. He was even on site the day of the move. I would highly recommend Paul Dearing and Perry Bishop.
From our first conversation with Caroline she was very helpful, and worked hard to facilitate our purchase by the June deadline. She was always quick to respond to concerns and questions and nothing was too much trouble.
We recently bought our house from Perry Bishop in Nailsworth and have been extremely impressed with their level of service. The team were very accommodating with viewings and very knowledgeable of the local area and amenities, also they were always friendly and helpful.