What to do and when
Moving to a new home or buying your very first home can be a stressful time. Minimise your stress using our essential checklist:
Six weeks before moving
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you're renting, notify your landlord of your moving date
- Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the day you exchange contracts on your new home
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms ahead of exchanging contracts . Ask forreferences and check the limit of their insurance.
- If you're not using professional removers, check for availability of van hire
- Book extra storage space if required
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure and on moving day take meter readings
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity shop, sold at car boot sale, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
Two weeks before moving
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you're moving out of the area.
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your milkman and newspaper shop where relevant that you'll be moving and give them a date you want the service to stop or your new address
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address cards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address
- Notify the bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders
Don't just take our word for it - our latest reviews
Having just sold my property with Perry Bishop I cannot praise them enough. From booking in viewing's to sales progression the service was excellent. Even when things didn't go quite as planned our sales progression agent Lucy handled everything calmly and efficiently throughout.
Liaising with Perry Bishop has been a pleasure from start to finish - from all the viewings I booked through them, to helping me with negotiations (more than once!) and particularly the sales progression process, once my offer had been accepted.
I was buying from Perry Bishop, not selling with them, but even so I would still recommend them for a friendly, professional approach.
Absolutely fantastic service, Paul knows the market and knows what people are looking for. Within a few weeks my property was sold, Paul understood what I was looking for in my next purchase and found me my perfect dream home.
Caroline always provides a friendly professional service, a wealth of knowledge about the industry, and is very hard working. Thank you for securing our Sale Caroline we wouldn't hesitate to recommend you.
Excellent friendly service with outstanding communication making the whole experience painless! Property sold within first couple of days of being up for sale Thank you to you all.